Friday, November 7, 2008

The 'Bar' just got raised!


The 'Bar' just got raised!


MG,III, this one's for you!

Thank you for introducing more genius back in December 2007 and helping us to see this historic event unfold.

Down in the Tremé of New Orleans, just a block away from Congo Square, where I first remember meeting your father and my uncle was where I was taught to have respect for the "office" of the President of the United States. In the backyard of that little duplex at Ursulines and Villerie is Joseph A. Craig Elementery School where we first learned of the Chief Executive that offered so much hope and solidified our respect for the top political office in the "free world" of that time. I also watched the news, reported on that fateful day in November 1963, when Walter Cronkite spoke saying: "Here is a bulletin from CBS News. In Dallas, Texas, three shots were fired at President Kennedy's motorcade in downtown Dallas. The first reports say that President Kennedy has been seriously wounded by this shooting." Decades of wondering who would bring about the kind of hope left empty by the death of the President I was taught to honor and respect by those wonderful teachers at Craig Elementery.

Truly, since November 22, 1963, most of the people I know and love (including those who are not here, except in spirit), haven't had "a dog in that fight" until November 4, 2008. Well, as you said, "the 'Bar' just got raised". The excuses were never valid in the first place. You know, the one that said: "My daddy was'nt around, so...", or "My mamma died when I was little, so...", or ' "Black folks can't ...",blah, blah, blah. I Samuel 4:9 states: "Be strong and quit yourselves like men, O ye Philistines, that ye be not servants unto the Hebrews, as they have been to you: quit yourselves like men, and fight". All translations suggest that we stand up!

Thank you MG,III and President-Elect, Barak Obama for reminding me that I am "the dog in that fight". Yes we can!

Our 2008 President has been chosen!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It was an historic moment indeed!!! I know, speaking on my mother’s behalf, it was one I was glad she got to witness and be a part of. She’s now 84 years young. I remember, as a child, the disappointment in my mother’s face after failing the literacy test to vote – several times!!! She was in her mid-30’s at the time. It wasn’t until 1970 that they banned the literacy requirement that she was now FREE to cast her vote. I could see it was a proud moment for her, and as a result, I couldn’t wait to be old enough to vote because I’d seen all she and my dad had gone through just to have their vote counted. It wasn’t until recently that she revealed to me one of the items she got wrong on her literacy test. It was her inability to spell the word ‘February’ correctly…

Yeah…I got a ‘dog in that fight’ too!!!